shop_edited.gif

Our Story

A Company is Born

 

Wilson and Proctor Ltd. was founded in 1947 by the late Fred Proctor Sr. and his business partner, the late Howard Wilson.  The company originally started in a small shop at 860 Tulip Avenue in Victoria.  However it had quickly outgrown its humble beginnings, and in January of 1948 had moved into a new shop on Wharf Steet in downtown Victoria (present-day Darcy's Pub).

In the early years, the majority of the business was overhauling gasoline engines of the day such as Hercules, Hall Scott, Model A Fords, Flat Head Fords, International Red Diamond, Whites, GMC, & Waukesha, to name a few.

Expansion

Throughout the 1950s & 1960s Diesel engines were becoming the standard engine used in the logging, marine, and commercial transport industries. During this time period, Wilson & Proctor became renowned on the island for diesel engine rebuilding and diesel fuel injection system repairs. In 1957 Wilson & Proctor became a Cummins Engine dealer. By the end of the 1960s the company had again outgrown its shop at the Wharf street location, and a new site was selected. Construction began on a new shop, that was opened at 808 Devonshire Road in Esquimalt in 1973.

Present

During the 1970s & 1980s Wilson & Proctor continued to be an industry leader in diesel engine repair and rebuilding. Even though two-stroke Detroit Diesel overhaul and repair had been a mainstay of the business for decades, it was not until 1988 that the company became an official Detroit Diesel dealer. In the early 1990s, the company expanded into the general truck repair industry, becoming an International Truck dealer in 1995. In 2000 Fred Proctor,  grandson of Fred Proctor Sr. became the president of the company. Wilson & Proctor has grown significantly in recent years. We are devoted to continuing and solidifying our legacy of exceptional sales and service in the South Vancouver Island Diesel engine repair and transport industry.